How Do I Help Someone Who Is Depressed?
Pastor of Soul Care Jeff Ballard opens up the topic of depression so that we can see that it’s encouraging that a person would share this with us, that even the famous pastor Charles Spurgeon struggled in this way, and there are practical takeaways for us to help:
- Listen well. Don’t jump to assumptions of what might be causing the depression or what they mean by “depression.”
- Don’t seek to fix the person. First seek to understand their heart.
- Give empathy. Try to feel a bit of what they’re feeling.
- Pray meaningfully for this person.
- Don’t assume what they want from you. Ask them! This could include check-ins, helping them make a plan, etc.